Should Libraries Shelve LGBTQ and Urban Lit Separately? [Week 14 Prompt]


     I would opt to shelve adult LGBTQ and Urban Lit along with the other adult books rather than create separate sections for these collections, and here’s why:

  1. A patron who comes into the library to browse might not peruse the Urban Lit and LGBTQ sections for a variety of reasons and would therefore miss out on potentially finding their new favorite book or even author!  But those same books may catch the readers eye in the general fiction.
  2. In homophobic communities, a patron might feel uncomfortable looking for a book in the LGBTQ section if it’s in a prominent location.  If the display is in an out-of-the-way spot, they might feel alienated.
  3. With regards to Urban Lit books, creating a separate section might reinforce the incorrect notion that they aren’t “real” literature and are therefore less worthy of reading.

     That said, however, the library should make frequent use of prominent public display areas to highlight items from their LGBTQ and Urban Lit collections.  Libraries should also create “finding aids” – lists of LGBTQ-themed titles in the collection and their locations in the library – and make these available in print and online, as suggested by Devon Thomas in “A Place on the Shelf.”  This strategy would also be useful for the Urban Lit collection.

Comments

  1. Hi Anna!
    I completely agree with you and I think that you make some great points. I know personally, I have found tons of books that I now love because they were part of the main fiction collection at my library but that I might not have gone and sought out if they had been on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna, I found your blog from Goodreads where you commented on my status update. I am now following you on Goodreads and here at your blog. I don't think I follow any bloggers who are also librarians or who work in libraries. I use my libraries like crazy. I am usually in one or another at least one time a week. When I go on trips I always visit the local library and love to compare how they are set up and what books they have on their fiction shelves. I checked out some of your reviews here and am impressed by how thorough your presentation is. I would expect nothing less from a library assistant! I am much more a loose reviewer, after years of reviewing for online publications where I had to follow more of a format which made me kind of crazy. I am also in several reading groups and each month I post a reading group update on my blog. Looking forward to reading more of your posts here and I hereby extend an invitation to you to visit my blog: http://keepthewisdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, well articulated and argued post. You bring up many great points that strengthen your response. A little on the short side, but well argued.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment