Promoting Libraries' Fiction Collections (Week 15 Prompt)


     I’m excited about the prompt this week because I’m passionate about reading for pleasure, and thinking about how to promote books and reading is one of my favorite things.  Here are three ways I would like to promote the fiction collection at my library.

Online Readers’ Advisory
     Burke and Strothmann (2015) gave many reasons for a library to consider using an online RA form, and I think this method appeals to me so much because of my own antisocial predilections.  Several weeks ago we had to ask a library staff member an RA question for an assignment, and it was painful for me.  I can’t imagine doing that in person for fun.  Filling out a form online, though?  Definitely more my cup of tea.  Some of the reasons Burke and Strothmann give in support of online RA forms include privacy, convenience, and better service, since the librarian can spend more time using RA tools to give the patron a well-annotated and thought-out list of books they might enjoy (p. 133).

Social Media
     Social media is a great tool for libraries to promote not only their programs, but their collections as well.  The library should try to post tweets or status updates that will engage the reader, as Jessica Trotter suggested in “The Expanding Scope of Readers Advisory” (Hilyard, 2010).  Trotter gave specific ideas like posting “pairing tweets” in the form of “If you like ___, try reading ___” (p. 13).  She notes that this is a great way to expand advisory to include the library’s DVD and music collections as well!
     I would like to see my library develop a Goodreads presence.  Despite the controversy around Amazon’s purchase of the site (Herther 2013), it’s such a fun platform, and if the number of my Facebook friends joining Goodreads is any indicator (it’s probably not), it seems to be getting more popular by the day.  The Salt Lake City County Library has a nice-looking Goodreads group page that seems popular.  They post their new books and have threads for monthly reading challenges.  This might not work in all library communities, but it could be a neat way to engage patrons online and to see which books they're reading and reviewing!

Book Discussion Groups (in person)
     I hadn’t thought of book clubs as a book/reading promotion tool before very recently, but now I see that it definitely is, and it works in several ways.  With a book group led by a library staff member, patrons have a casual opportunity each month to not only discuss the book selection, but also to ask questions and share concerns about other library-related topics.  Likewise, the library employee can hear about what the other club members are reading and maybe even ask what they would like to see at the library.  Even if a staff member is not involved, the library can offer good customer service by helping in other ways, like providing discussion questions or helping obtain copies of the book selection to the club members (Saricks, 2005). 

Comments

  1. Great post. The first reading group I was ever in was at my local library. We met in one of their community rooms and the leader, a library staff member, was also a great moderator and well read. I had never thought of finding my library's Facebook page, so I just went, found it and "followed." I think the Goodreads page idea is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! You have some truly great ideas! Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment